Running To Win
By Dot Bowen
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2 (NIV)
Being busy these days is an understatement. Every day has its own challenges and surprises but little did I know how important a video can make when you are too busy to take notice you are getting weary. My sister Janice often sends me encouraging videos, stories, and quotes, but when she sent me the video I’m sharing with you today, I had no idea how weary I was becoming. John Piper delivers the message in the video, but that day I felt Jesus speaking to my heart through the truth in Hebrews 12:1-2. I could not hold back the tears when I first listened to the message. I’ve since watched it over and over again and passed it on to my friends, and now I’m passing it on to you. I pray you’ll be as encouraged as I’ve been to keep running toward the life God has for you. After you watch the video, send your thoughts and comments to me at dot@cupofjoy. I’d love to hear from you after you’ve had time to answer the questions in the Reflect and Respond section below. Enjoy!
- Does the video inspire you to keep running the race God has set for you or does it frustrate you because you’re trying to understand why you have to live the life you are living?
- Pray and ask God to show you what it means to fix your eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of your faith.
- Have you ever considered the circumstances of your life may be the very things God will use to help you to discover your purpose in life? Your life story may be the story God will use to encourage others in a similar situation to help others.
- It doesn’t matter whether you are where you are due to your unwise choices, the decisions of others, or because of circumstances that could have be prevented. Regardless of how you got to where you are, there are lessons to be learned. And these lessons are great tools to encourage others who are running a similar race.
- What have you been putting off because you are too tired or discouraged to try?
- How did John Piper describe what it means to fix our eyes on Jesus?
- How would you describe the race God has set before you right now?
- Are you willing to keep running even when you feel you are running in vain?
Email me your thoughts at dot@cupofjoy. I’m excited and waiting to hear from you!